Read about our School’s foundations
Since the early pioneers settled in the Lancefield/Romsey District, the Catholic Community has endeavoured to provide education for the children in a Catholic Environment.
Fr. Clarke, the first Parish Priest of the Kilmore Mission, set about obtaining, finding and registration for these small schools, which were conducted in a variety of buildings. In 1885, when Fr. Farrelly was Parish Priest, the first permanent timber school building was built in Lancefield behind the Church. This modest building was shifted twice: once to higher ground and then to its present position in the Raglan Street school grounds after the beautiful brick building was erected in 1929.
When Lancefield was declared a Parish in 1906, there were schools at Romsey, Emu Flat and Baynton which were staffed by lay men and women. In 1919, Fr. Harnett (who was our first Parish Priest) brought the Sisters of St Joseph to staff the schools at Lancefield and Romsey. When falling numbers forced the closure of the Romsey school in 1967, Romsey children gradually began to travel to Lancefield. This has been greatly assisted in recent years through the use of bus travel.
Over the years St Mary’s has been well serviced by the Parish Priest and Parishioners, Sisters, Staff and School Commitment in providing facilities and a tradition of quality education.